Rudy Giuliani, Matt Gaetz, and Federal Prison
Is there countdown to federal prison for Rudy Giuliani and Matt Gaetz? Recent events indicate that the answer is yes.
Many major newspapers have reported the following:
- Investigators executed a search warrant on Rudy Giuliani’s residence and office
- The investigators seized his computers and files
- They learned about his misconduct as a result of investigations into other people.
With Matt Gaetz, journalists have reported on a series of ominous investigations that threaten his liberty.
- A close friend of his faces many years in federal prison for crimes related to sex trafficking with children.
- The attorney representing the close friend indicated that his client is pursuing a plea negotiation by cooperating with authorities.
- Authorities have subpoenaed electronic records to track payments, emails, and messaging.
All of those events suggest that federal authorities are conducting a criminal investigation that will lead to a grand jury. Prosecutors will conduct the grand jury investigation with a goal of obtaining a criminal indictment against Rudy Giuliani and Matt Gaetz.
The old cliché helps us appreciate the message that the higher a person rises, the faster a person can fall. The serious allegations that each man faces will result in massive fines. They will likely result in the loss of liberty.
Generally, the process of a government investigation is clear:
- Investigators become suspicious that someone has committed a crime.
- The evidence they gather leads them to identify people as either:
- A witness to an investigation
- A subject of an investigation
- A target of an investigation
- The investigators will pressure people to cooperate, providing more evidence.
- A federal prosecutor will convene a grand jury and beginning presenting the evidence.
- Sometimes, the federal prosecutor will present evidence to a federal judge and ask for a search warrant. The search warrant indicates the government investigation is becoming more intense. A search warrant will yield more evidence.
- Prosecutors will also subpoena documents, seeking to learn more from emails, phone records, contracts, correspondence.
- When they’re ready, prosecutors will ask the grand jury to indict the targets of an investigation.
- By the time prosecutors identify a person as a target of an investigation, the chances for a criminal indictment rise.
The news reports of the late spring, 2021, indicate that the countdown to federal prison for both Rudy Giuliani and Matt Gaetz has begun.
The earlier a person works to understand how government investigations operate, the better a person can work toward crafting a person mitigation strategy. We encourage anyone facing a government investigation to learn more, and to learn quickly, about seeds they can start sowing to work toward the best outcomes.