Criminal Justice Reform Policy Work
Shon Hopwood is a founding partner at Prison Professors. He is also a leading voice in the movement for criminal justice reform. Recently, Shon shared the stage with several leaders at the prestigious Brookings Institute in Washington DC. Governor Terry McAuliffe, DeRay McKesson, Brittany Packnett, and Clint Smith all shared their thoughts on steps we can take to improve outcomes of our criminal justice system.
For those who don’t know, we have the highest incarceration rate in the world. What’s worse, the longer we expose someone to our criminal justice system, the less likely those people become to function in society.
At Prison Professors, we go after this problem on many fronts.
- Through public speaking events, we bring more awareness to the need for criminal justice reform.
- Through digital products we create, we help people understand how easily they can be brought into the criminal justice system—and we teach how to overcome those problems.
- By providing expert testimony in sentencing hearings, we assist the defense team in persuading the judge why a lower sentence may be in the best interest of justice.
- Through our one-on-one consulting, we assist people who must prepare for either a prosecution, a sentencing hearing, or a successful outcome from the criminal justice system.
- Through our literature, videos, and blog posts, we provide free information to people who cannot afford to hire our team.
Unless someone is an academic, or someone works in the criminal justice arena, people don’t think too much about how mass incarceration influences every American citizen. If authorities charge someone with a crime, that changes in a hurry.
At Prison Professors, we make it our business to spread awareness on the system. We also provide products and services that lead to better outcomes.
If you’re in need of any the services we provide, please consider Prison Professors as a resource.